You may have heard a lot of talk about self-hosting your own blog and the advantages of WordPress over Blogger.
But what does it all mean, and should your blog be self -hosted? Should you use Blogger or WordPress or even something else?
If you already have a mom blog, or plan on starting one, you are probably ok with Blogger.com.
Blogger is a FREE blogging platform that is very easy to learn.
Just go to www.blogger.com and fill in the blanks.
For extra help, request your FREE 1/2 hour consultation. I will answer any questions you have.
If you are planning on making money from your blog, such as blogging about a home business, selling products or ad space on your site or any other money generating activities…..
You need to be self -hosted using WordPress.org (not.com).
Why you really need to be self-hosted
- Blogger frowns upon money making activities on their free site. I have heard of at least three people (just from blogs I read) whose blogs were totally gone one day, or they were no longer indexed in the search engines…scary after working so hard to create the blogs….
- Total control of your blogs!
- Many hosting companies provide you with Unlimited Email accounts
- You can get unlimited blogs and pages
- SEO- WordPress blogs are search engine friendly
- You can add forums, paypal buttons and more on your blog
- Get approved for product reviews and affiliate programs easier
- You can sell your blog if desired
So how do you get started with self-hosting?
First you need to pick a hosting company. Here are a few of the most popular ones:
Looking for Web Hosting With Quality Support? 24/7 Support Via Phone, Live Chat, and Email!
Host Unlimited Domains On 1 Hosting Account
You can also run a Google Search to find one as well. I would recommend going with a service that offers unlimited blogs….
For the record, I use Hostgator and have been EXTREMELY pleased with customer service….I was totally in the dark about all of this in the beginning. They were there to lend a hand and even get me out of a few jams!
Once you find a service, you want to go to your account and start a WordPress.org blog. If you currently have a blog on Blogger, you can easily transfer your file to WordPress.
If you don’t have a WordPress, just start a new blog.
I recommend having a redirect URL (your own ,com, ,info, .biz, etc…) Try to match your blog & URL names as closely as possible. You can actually have more than one URL point to your blog if you want. I have 3 that direct here!
A URL will cost from $1.99- ?…..usually under $20.00/yr
If you need help getting started with self-hosting and a WordPress.org blog, request your FREE 1/2 hour consultation. I would love to help in any way possible.
For ideas on some great plug-in’s to put on your blog, go to the Get Bizzy Blogging online radio show. I did a show on widgets and plug-in’s. they are listed in the blog section.
Also, don’t forget to subscribe to my Tuesday Morning Blogging Tips newsletter!